Here’s a quick Chill Mix I put together now that it’s getting colder and we’re seeing a lot less sun. Who knows, maybe it’ll warm you up a bit.
1. Scale It Back – DJ Shadow
2. Born – Starfucker
3. Raconte-Moi Histoire – M83
4. Lost In The City – Soulstice
5. New Theory (RAC Mix) – Washed Out
6. Rawnald Gregory Erickson the Second – Starfucker
7. Indian Rope Trick – Flunk
8. Sweetest Taboo – Slow Hands
9. Soul Universe – See-I
10. Wicked Game (Chris Isaak) – Washed Out
11. Swim [Feat. Chris James] – DJ Cam
12. Paris – Scratch Massive
13. Uran – Ganga
14. I’ll Take Care Of U – Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx
15. Pharoahs – SBTRKT
16. Under The Milkyway (The Church Cover) – Miami Horror
17. Heaven – Nouvelle Vague
18. Close To My Fire – Slackwax
19. Watch The Waves – Taken by Trees
20. Just Gazin’ – Digitalism
Time for a quick fall mix before the snow starts flying! Tricky is coming to Doug Fir on December 19th in support of his latest, great album “Mixed Race”. Should be an incredible show. Chromeo is coming back to Portland again late winter and they did a masterful job remixing Aeroplane and we pulled a track off their latest release “Business Casual” as well. Thunderball just released their first album in over 5 years called “12 Mile High”. Don’t expect old Thunderball though. It’s more a mix of their side project, Fort Knox Five and Turntables on the Hudson. Very nice album though! The new Ladytron single is only available on the Fifa 2011 video game soundtrack for now and Jamiroquai just released their first album in five years. I’m sure if you’re a fan, you’ll already have copy in your cd player, ipod, computer….whatever. Cheers!
1. Aaron (Ted & Francis Vocal Version) – Paul Kalkbrenner
2. Time To Dance – Tricky
3. She’s A Superstar (Featuring Chomeo) – Aeroplane
4. Somebody To Love Me – Mark Ronson And The Business Intl
5. Don’t Walk Away – Chromeo
6. Moon on the Rise – Thunderball
7. Coma Cat – Tensnake
8. Invisible – FM Attack
9. Stay Here – Friendly Fires
10. Ace of Hz – Ladytron
11. I think about it (Keenhouse Remix) – College
12. I Love U So – Cassius
13. Kilometer (A-Trak Remix) – Sébastien Tellier
14. White Knuckle Ride (Penguin Prison Remix) – Jamiroquai
15. DMD (Anoraak Sunset Mix) – Shit Browne
16. Barbra Streisand (Original Mix) – Duck Sauce
17. Always Loved A Film – Underworld
The lazy days of summer are here and I’ve been doing my part by not adding anything new to this blog for months! Lots of new music the last couple of months and a few great shows coming to Portland in the months ahead. First up is Chromeo at the Roseland on August 13th. Tickets are going fast and their new release “Business Casual” is set to come out in the next month. The Chemical Brothers released another great album this spring. They’ll be in California for two shows later this month but nothing in the Nortwest! Hopefully they’ll come back for a full tour soon. Aeroplane’s new album is coming out in January but until that time we’ll have to continue enjoying some of their older remixes and this Friendly Fires track is a great example of their remix prowess.
Two Door Cinema Club is coming back to Portland again and this time they will be at the all ages venue, The Hawthorne Theatre on November 5th. Ratatat will be at the Crystal Ballroom on September 16th. in support of their latest release, LP4.
Some new music from Aussie outfit, Voltage. They are being produced by Cut Copy and they’re also on Cut Copy’s label and I have to say…..they sound a lot like Cut Copy. Nice track though. New Cut Copy album is coming out in January as well and you can download a track off the forthcoming album right off their website
Enjoy the summer mix.
1. Don’t Turn The Lights On – Chromeo
2. A New Chance (Tanlines Remix) – The Tough Alliance
3. Another World – The Chemical Brothers
4. Paris (Aeroplane Remix) – Friendly Fires
5. Magic (Classixx Version) – Ladyhawke
6. Something Good Can Work (The Twelves Remix) – Two Door Cinema Club
7. Suffocation – Crystal Castles
8. On Melancholy Hill – Gorillaz
9. Drugs – Ratatat
10. Real Life (Memory Tapes remix) – Tanlines
11. Enjoy Music (Crazy P Remix) – Reboot
12. All Night – Voltage
13. Faith (Faze Action Remix) – Stretch Silvester
14. Regenerate – Booka Shade
15. Sun To Me – Faithless
16. Metropolis (The Twelves Remix) – Cicada
17. Hidden Treasure (Dj Vadim Rerub) – DJ Vadim
We have some great shows coming to Portland in the next couple of weeks. Delorean will be opening for Miike Snow at the Hawthorne Theater on April 14th and their new album “Subiza” will be released on June 8th. Javelin will be at Rotture on April 30th. Their new album “No Mas” has some genre bending tracks. I’ve been playing a few on the Chill Show the last couple of weeks. It’s kind of fun going back to the 80’s and throwing a Simple Minds track into the mix that totally works with all the new music that’s out there right now. Props to all the bands that probably weren’t even around during the Simple Mind’s heyday…..that’s before they did the song for the Breakfast Club!
Goldfrapp has an outstanding new album out. Glad to know that they went away from their more experimental sounding Seventh Tree album and are back with some delicious sounding 80’s hooks. The XX will be at the Crystal Ballroom on the 14th of April as well. JJ from Sweden will be opening. Where to go? Miike Snow or The XX. Maybe I’ll have to see both.
I’m really enjoying Phantogram. They opened for Zero7 last December at the Wonder Ballroom and will headline their own show at Doug Fir on May 3rd. Also in May we’ll have the first Broken Bells show. They’ll be at the Wonder Ballroom on May 24th. I’m ending the set with a great remix of Laidback’s people. First, I’m still surprised that they are still around after all these years. Second, I’m surprised how good they still sound!
1. Vibrationz – Javelin
2. One Bright Night – Way Out West
3. Raydio – Cicada
4. Burial – Miike Snow
5. Half Dreaming – CFCF
6. Somebody Up There Likes You – Simple Minds
7. Cruel Intentions – Simian Mobile Disco
8. Hold On – Holy Ghost
9. Dreaming – Goldfrapp
10. Seasun – Delorean
11. Crystalised – The xx
12. Paper Romance (Classixx Remix) – Groove Armada
13. Let Me Go – Phantogram
14. Citizen – Broken Bells
15. Bicycle – Memory Tapes
16. People (Banzai Republic vs Trentemoller Mix) – Laid Back
If you missed the last Miike Snow show, they are coming back to Portland in April and will be playing at the Hawthorne Theater. This is a larger, all ages, venue so it should be packed show. Aeroplane are laying the finishing touches on their new album but for now we’re still having to settle for some of their older remixes. Das Pop never sounded this good before! Moby and the Raveonettes were in town a little while ago and put on some great shows. Really liking the Lifelike remix of Baxter. Actually, I like everything Lifelike’s been doing lately but this Baxter track is a stand out. Just saw Passion Pit at the Crystal Ballroom the other week. I don’t understand how Michael Angelakos can sing so high for a whole show. Can’t image what he sounds like at the end of a tour. Finishing the mix off with a nice Grum remix of Friendly Fires and my favorite boys from Brazil, The Twelves.
1. Cult Logic – Miike Snow
2. Intermission – Plump DJs
3. Fool For Love (Aeroplane Remix) – Das Pop
4. Dream About Me – Moby
5. Don’t Do It (J.T. Remix) – New Order
6. I Will Come Back – Holy Ghost
7. Last Dance – The Raveonettes
8. Proof (Lifelike Remix) – Baxter
9. Let Your Love Grow Tall – Passion Pit
10. I’m Not Your Toy – La Roux
11. Skeleton Boy (Grum Remix) – Friendly Fires
12. When You Talk – The Twelves
One of my latest Cocktail Mixes for 94/7fm in Portland. Starting off with a great track from Spanish outfit “Delorean”. They’ve been remixing various artist’s tracks for a while but they’ve really created a nice sound on their own their own record. Holy Ghost! are from Brooklyn and you have to love the fact that we have such a great sounding electro outfit in the US of A! Great remix by Los Angeles band Classixx. Miike Snow is coming to Portland and will be playing at Doug Fir on October 1st. Lots of remixes of Animal out there but I think the Treasure Fingers Mix beats them all. Lifelike did a monster job on Moby’s latest track, Mistakes and I love what John Bourke did with Haddaway’s, What is Love. Brazil’s The Twelves added some heavy beats to Fleetfoxes and John Legend collaborating with MSTRKRFT was a pleasant surprise for me. Finishing off with a classic from X-Press 2 featuring David Byrne. This is a timeless track.
1. Seasun – Delorean
2. Hot Lips (Staygold Remix) – Pacific!
3. I Will Come Back (Classixx Acapulco Nights Version) – Holy Ghost!
4. The Girl And The Robot – Röyksopp
5. Animal (Treasure Fingers Remix) – Miike Snow
6. Bulletproof – La Roux
7. Mistakes (Lifelike Remix) – Moby
8. What Is Love – John Bourke
9. Behind The Wheel (Electroca$h Mix) – Depeche Mode
10. White Winter Hymnal (The Twelves Remix) – Fleet Foxes
11. Heartbreaker Feat. John Legend – MSTRKRFT
12. Lazy Feat. David Byrne – X-Press 2
Here’s one of my latest cocktail mixes which was featured on 94/7fm in Portland. The Area54 Mixes are on every Tuesday and Friday at 6pm. You can also listen online at 947.fm, or you can check this site or the area54 site for archives of the shows.
Been playing Lo-Fi-Fnk for a couple of years now but really like this track which I pulled off of the Maison Kitsune 6 compilation. Number 7 is already coming out next month and it looks like another great compilation with some really ripping tracks. I had to go back to the granddaddies of the genre with an older New Order track from their 1985 LP Low Life. I remember playing that album so much that I had to get a second copy because I wore out the vinyl. It’s amazing listening to New Order and realizing how influential they were for many of the bands that are currently getting airplay with the new electro 80’s sound that’s so prevalent today.
The Presets were just in Portland and put on a great show. I like their live act but they are definitely a studio band. Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s just hard to reproduce their studio produced sound in a live venue. I’m still up in the air about the new U2 album. This is a nice remix by Fred Falke, but I’ve come to expect more from him. I only have the edit so maybe the extended version offers a bit more but so far I’ve been left cold by both the latest U2 effort and the remixes I’ve been hearing. Judge for yourself.
Moby has a new album coming out next month called ‘Wait for Me’. I’ve heard one track from it so far and it sounds really mellow. Seems like he’s following up his last album pretty quickly though. Finishing off the set with some older standards by M.I.A and a great Plump DJ’s track featuring one of my favorite vocalists; Gary Numan.
1. Want U – Lo-Fi-Fnk
2. Forever [Feat. Neneh Cherry] – Kleerup
3. Sub-culture – New Order
4. This Boy’s In Love – The Presets
5. Magnificent (Fred Falke Remix – Edit) – U2
6. I Left My Heart In Tokyo (Fred Falke Dub) – Mini Viva
7. Lift Me Up (Mylo Mix) – Moby
8. I Remember – Deadmau5 & Kaskade
9. Boyz (The Twelves Remix) – M.I.A.
10. Pray For You (Feat. Gary Numan) – Plump DJs
11. Lights Out – Santogold
What, it’s not February anymore?
Okay you can call me a slacker but here’s a mix to make up for my tardiness!! The Twelves are the hottest things to come out of Brazil on the musical front and they do a great number on this Groove Armada track. Currently only available online via a Bacardi Promotion. Supposedly there are 5 tracks on the upcoming Groove Armada EP. I love everything Breakbot’s been doing and he added a great 80’s electro feel to an otherwise marginal song. Gotta plug my Dutch homeboy JXL with a track off his latest. And what’s up with John Bourke? Supposedly he’s from Oklahoma (The Reddest State in the USofA..) but he sure sounds like he’s been hanging out at Sprokets in Berlin on this track. It actually sounds good with a psuedo German accent. N.A.S.A. is blowing up right now. It’s an acronym for North America/South America. Music doesn’t sound like anything new to me but they do have some big name vocalists on the album. These guys must have quite the rolodex. Presets are coming back to Portland for a show in April and I love “If I know you” off their latest album “Apocalypso”. They took everything that was great from 80’s new wave music and put it all in one song. Brilliant!! Speaking of 80’s, Plump DJ’s and Gary Numan…..Treat!!
1. Drop The Tough (The Twelves Remix) – Groove Armada
2. When We Were Young (Breakbot Mix) – Sneaky Sound System
3. New Toy – Junkie XL
4. Kids In Technicolor(Knights Remix) – Coldplay vs MGMT vs Daft Punk
5. What Is Love – John Bourke
6. Beat myself up (Don Diablo ReRub) – Plump DJs
7. Whachadoin? (Instrumental) – N.A.S.A.
8. Arguru – Deadmau5
9. If I Know You – The Presets
10. Jump N Twist – Freestylers
11. Pray For You (Feat. Gary Numan) – Plump DJs
I have so much recycling piled up that needs to be taken to the recycling center that all I can think about is recycled plastic. Hence, the picture of what all our plastic products look like when they are all squashed together in a pile, ready to get melted down and made into new plastic consumer products again. It’s a vicious circle, at least, if I can get to the recycling center!
Latest mix that aired on 94/7fm during the Cocktail Mix at 6. Lykke Li is coming to Portland in a couple of weeks so we’ve been pushing her a bit lately. Lots of great remixes floating around but I haven’t head the Chavez mix all that much so decided to start the set off with that one. The Twelves are the new gods from Brazil. They just make magical remixes and take the Black Kids to another level. Love the Dizzee Rascal/Calvin Harris tune and Shazaam just makes it even dancier.
Afterlife takes the Eric Prydz smash hit and ads some new elements to it. Surprisingly dance oriented considering Aferlife is known more for slowing their remixes down to the point where it’s almost ambient. Okay, so I kind of missed the whole Vampire Weekend thing but I’m catching up with a great Chromeo remix. I like their whole album, which is a pretty amazing feat to these jaded ears.
Metronomy is coming to Portland as well this month. They’ll be at Holocene on the 23rd. I don’t know what it is about these guys but they seem to write songs just to get remixed. Curious to hear what they sound like live. The smash 2002 Shakedown track gets a remake from Seamus Haji and still sounds great almost 7 years later.
last song is a great mellow outro track from French DJ and producer Dimitri from Paris. It’s from his brilliant 1996 album “Sacrebleu”. It was recently re-released so if you don’t have it yet, now’s your chance.
Enjoy the mix and see you at some shows this month.
1. Little Bit (Diego Chavez Remix) – Lykke Li
2. Hurricane Jane (Twelves Mix) – Black Kids
3. Lights Out (David Rubato Remix) – Santogold
4. Dance Wiv Me (Shazam Remix) – Dizzee Rascal feat. Calvin Harris
5. Feel The Love – Cut Copy
6. Pjanoo (Afterlife Remix) – Eric Prydz
7. Lazy (Moto Blanco Remix) – X-Press 2
8. The Kids Don’t Stand A Chance (Chromeo Remix) – Vampire Weekend
9. Why (Wez Clarke Remix) – Shiny Grey
10.Heartbreaker (kris menace remix) – Metronomy
11.At Night (Seamus Haji Remix) – Shakedown
12.Toujours L’amore – Dimitri form Paris
Time for a quick mix before the holidays kick in. This is a mix that will actually be broadcast this evening on the 94/7fm Cuervo Cocktail mix at 6pm. (That’s Pacific time for those of you who don’t know that I’m in Orygun!)
Kraak & Smaak were just in town the other week for a great show at Doug Fir and afterwards we were able to get a mix tape cd from the boys. Some great tracks including one from Discodeine. The one on their tape mix is a remix but I actually like the orignal version too and opened the mix with it. After that we have a great remix of Toronto’s Crystal Castles and then going straight into a Modernaire remix of a great MGMT track. Modernaire remind me a bit of the Human League. Maybe only because it’s a guy and two girls and they have that classic retro ’80’s sound. Or maybe just cause they are from the UK?…….Who knows?
I love Dance Wiv me by Dizzee Rascal and Shazam only takes it to a higher level with his remix. Lykke Li was also in Portland recently and she’ll be coming back again in February. I missed her show at Doug Fir the other month but this time she’ll be playing at the Hawthorne Theater and I’m going to make a special effort to make it to that show. I like her sound and Fred Falke makes this track into a dancefloor stomper.
A non remixed song in the playlist? Sure, why not. You can do that with Hot Chip. I heard rumors that they were breaking up and I sure hope that it was only a rumor. These guys are a lot of fun to watch live so if the rumors aren’t true and they come and play in your town….go see them.
The mix finishes off with a cool Hendrix remix. How can you not love the sound of his guitar. Finally a remix of The Killers track Human. I’ve never been super stoked on The Killers and I don’t think Human is even one of their better songs, but this remix adds a new dimension to the song that actually makes it interesting……to me anyway.
Enjoy the holidays. We are getting snowed in this week so I’ll be shoveling snow in between playing gigs and the radio show.
1. Joystick – Discodeine
2. Crimewave (Crystal Castles VS Health) – Crystal Castles
3. Of Birds, Moons & Monsters (Modernaire Remix) – MGMT
4. Dance Wiv Me (Shazam Remix) – Dizzee Rascal ft. Calvin Harris
5. I’m Good, I’m Gone (Fred Falke Vocal) – Lykke Li
6. Back Of The Van (Fred Falke Ultimate Beverly Mix) – Ladyhawke
7. Faraway (Hundreds and Thousands Remix) – Cut Copy
8. Boy From School – Hot Chip
9. Heartbreaker (Anoraak Remix) – Metronomy
10. Cross The Dancefloor (Lifelike remix) – Treasure Fingers
11. You Got Me Floatin’ (Dj Mighty Mi 1der Mix) – Jimi Hendrix
12. Human (Ocelot Remix) – The Killers