The lazy days of summer are here and I’ve been doing my part by not adding anything new to this blog for months! Lots of new music the last couple of months and a few great shows coming to Portland in the months ahead. First up is Chromeo at the Roseland on August 13th. Tickets are going fast and their new release “Business Casual” is set to come out in the next month. The Chemical Brothers released another great album this spring. They’ll be in California for two shows later this month but nothing in the Nortwest! Hopefully they’ll come back for a full tour soon. Aeroplane’s new album is coming out in January but until that time we’ll have to continue enjoying some of their older remixes and this Friendly Fires track is a great example of their remix prowess.
Two Door Cinema Club is coming back to Portland again and this time they will be at the all ages venue, The Hawthorne Theatre on November 5th. Ratatat will be at the Crystal Ballroom on September 16th. in support of their latest release, LP4.
Some new music from Aussie outfit, Voltage. They are being produced by Cut Copy and they’re also on Cut Copy’s label and I have to say…..they sound a lot like Cut Copy. Nice track though. New Cut Copy album is coming out in January as well and you can download a track off the forthcoming album right off their website
Enjoy the summer mix.
1. Don’t Turn The Lights On – Chromeo
2. A New Chance (Tanlines Remix) – The Tough Alliance
3. Another World – The Chemical Brothers
4. Paris (Aeroplane Remix) – Friendly Fires
5. Magic (Classixx Version) – Ladyhawke
6. Something Good Can Work (The Twelves Remix) – Two Door Cinema Club
7. Suffocation – Crystal Castles
8. On Melancholy Hill – Gorillaz
9. Drugs – Ratatat
10. Real Life (Memory Tapes remix) – Tanlines
11. Enjoy Music (Crazy P Remix) – Reboot
12. All Night – Voltage
13. Faith (Faze Action Remix) – Stretch Silvester
14. Regenerate – Booka Shade
15. Sun To Me – Faithless
16. Metropolis (The Twelves Remix) – Cicada
17. Hidden Treasure (Dj Vadim Rerub) – DJ Vadim
We have some great shows coming to Portland in the next couple of weeks. Delorean will be opening for Miike Snow at the Hawthorne Theater on April 14th and their new album “Subiza” will be released on June 8th. Javelin will be at Rotture on April 30th. Their new album “No Mas” has some genre bending tracks. I’ve been playing a few on the Chill Show the last couple of weeks. It’s kind of fun going back to the 80’s and throwing a Simple Minds track into the mix that totally works with all the new music that’s out there right now. Props to all the bands that probably weren’t even around during the Simple Mind’s heyday…..that’s before they did the song for the Breakfast Club!
Goldfrapp has an outstanding new album out. Glad to know that they went away from their more experimental sounding Seventh Tree album and are back with some delicious sounding 80’s hooks. The XX will be at the Crystal Ballroom on the 14th of April as well. JJ from Sweden will be opening. Where to go? Miike Snow or The XX. Maybe I’ll have to see both.
I’m really enjoying Phantogram. They opened for Zero7 last December at the Wonder Ballroom and will headline their own show at Doug Fir on May 3rd. Also in May we’ll have the first Broken Bells show. They’ll be at the Wonder Ballroom on May 24th. I’m ending the set with a great remix of Laidback’s people. First, I’m still surprised that they are still around after all these years. Second, I’m surprised how good they still sound!
1. Vibrationz – Javelin
2. One Bright Night – Way Out West
3. Raydio – Cicada
4. Burial – Miike Snow
5. Half Dreaming – CFCF
6. Somebody Up There Likes You – Simple Minds
7. Cruel Intentions – Simian Mobile Disco
8. Hold On – Holy Ghost
9. Dreaming – Goldfrapp
10. Seasun – Delorean
11. Crystalised – The xx
12. Paper Romance (Classixx Remix) – Groove Armada
13. Let Me Go – Phantogram
14. Citizen – Broken Bells
15. Bicycle – Memory Tapes
16. People (Banzai Republic vs Trentemoller Mix) – Laid Back
If you missed the last Miike Snow show, they are coming back to Portland in April and will be playing at the Hawthorne Theater. This is a larger, all ages, venue so it should be packed show. Aeroplane are laying the finishing touches on their new album but for now we’re still having to settle for some of their older remixes. Das Pop never sounded this good before! Moby and the Raveonettes were in town a little while ago and put on some great shows. Really liking the Lifelike remix of Baxter. Actually, I like everything Lifelike’s been doing lately but this Baxter track is a stand out. Just saw Passion Pit at the Crystal Ballroom the other week. I don’t understand how Michael Angelakos can sing so high for a whole show. Can’t image what he sounds like at the end of a tour. Finishing the mix off with a nice Grum remix of Friendly Fires and my favorite boys from Brazil, The Twelves.
1. Cult Logic – Miike Snow
2. Intermission – Plump DJs
3. Fool For Love (Aeroplane Remix) – Das Pop
4. Dream About Me – Moby
5. Don’t Do It (J.T. Remix) – New Order
6. I Will Come Back – Holy Ghost
7. Last Dance – The Raveonettes
8. Proof (Lifelike Remix) – Baxter
9. Let Your Love Grow Tall – Passion Pit
10. I’m Not Your Toy – La Roux
11. Skeleton Boy (Grum Remix) – Friendly Fires
12. When You Talk – The Twelves
The xx coming to Doug Fir on the 26th with Friendly Fires.
Okay, so I missed September but I’m going to make it up to you with a double set of mixes this month. For now we’ll just pretend it’s still October….sunny, warm and dry.
I was a little late on the Fever Ray bandwagon but better late than never and now I’m hooked. The Knife’s Karin Dreijer Andersson’s solo project is amazing. The xx remind me of a mix between Mazzy Star and Hot Chip. Mazzy Star for the mellowness and Hot Chip for the quirkiness. Interesting that they just announced a spring tour with Hot Chip. Only 4 US dates so far and nothing in the Northwest but hopefully they’ll add some dates.
YACHT is a local Portland band and they are getting lots of write ups in the music press. This Classixx remix of their “hit” song is excellent. Miike Snow is coming back to Portland in April and will be playing at the Hawthorne Theater. Their show at Doug Fir last month was sold out. Get your tickets early for this show.
Passion Pit will be in Portland for the 94/7fm December to Remember concert series. They’ll be at the Crystal Ballroom on December 7th. They were in Eugene a couple of months ago but didn’t play in Portland. Don’t miss this show.
Really enjoying the latest Simian Mobile Disco album. They’ll be at the Wonder Ballroom on the 28th of this month.
You really have to check out the Florence and the Machine’s cover of The Source’s “You Got The Love”. The original is great but the xx’s remix is simply amazing!
1. Seven – Fever Ray
2. Shelter – The xx
3. Psychic City (Classixx Remix) – Yacht
4. Song for No One – Miike Snow
5. A New Chance – The Tough Alliance
6. Major Lazer – Cash Flow (Classixx Glass Bottom Dub Mix)
7. Missing The Light Of The Day – Air
8. Moths Wings – Passion Pit
9. Earthquake (Treasure Fingers’ Epicwave Mix) – Little Boots
10. White Winter Hymnal – Fleet Foxes
11. Audacity of Huge (feat. Chris Keating) – Simian Mobile Disco
12. You Got The Love (The XX Remix) – Florence And The Machine
One of my latest Cocktail Mixes for 94/7fm in Portland. Starting off with a great track from Spanish outfit “Delorean”. They’ve been remixing various artist’s tracks for a while but they’ve really created a nice sound on their own their own record. Holy Ghost! are from Brooklyn and you have to love the fact that we have such a great sounding electro outfit in the US of A! Great remix by Los Angeles band Classixx. Miike Snow is coming to Portland and will be playing at Doug Fir on October 1st. Lots of remixes of Animal out there but I think the Treasure Fingers Mix beats them all. Lifelike did a monster job on Moby’s latest track, Mistakes and I love what John Bourke did with Haddaway’s, What is Love. Brazil’s The Twelves added some heavy beats to Fleetfoxes and John Legend collaborating with MSTRKRFT was a pleasant surprise for me. Finishing off with a classic from X-Press 2 featuring David Byrne. This is a timeless track.
1. Seasun – Delorean
2. Hot Lips (Staygold Remix) – Pacific!
3. I Will Come Back (Classixx Acapulco Nights Version) – Holy Ghost!
4. The Girl And The Robot – Röyksopp
5. Animal (Treasure Fingers Remix) – Miike Snow
6. Bulletproof – La Roux
7. Mistakes (Lifelike Remix) – Moby
8. What Is Love – John Bourke
9. Behind The Wheel (Electroca$h Mix) – Depeche Mode
10. White Winter Hymnal (The Twelves Remix) – Fleet Foxes
11. Heartbreaker Feat. John Legend – MSTRKRFT
12. Lazy Feat. David Byrne – X-Press 2
I just love this track. Throw in some great 80’s synth sounds and push it to the point of distortion. Catchy hook and interesting vocals by Elly Jackson. They’re actually doing a short US tour this month. Closest show for me is Seattle on July 28th at Chop Suey. Looks like Portland is getting passed up on once again.
Been playing Lo-Fi-Fnk for a couple of years now but really like this track which I pulled off of the Maison Kitsune 6 compilation. Number 7 is already coming out next month and it looks like another great compilation with some really ripping tracks. I had to go back to the granddaddies of the genre with an older New Order track from their 1985 LP Low Life. I remember playing that album so much that I had to get a second copy because I wore out the vinyl. It’s amazing listening to New Order and realizing how influential they were for many of the bands that are currently getting airplay with the new electro 80’s sound that’s so prevalent today.
The Presets were just in Portland and put on a great show. I like their live act but they are definitely a studio band. Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s just hard to reproduce their studio produced sound in a live venue. I’m still up in the air about the new U2 album. This is a nice remix by Fred Falke, but I’ve come to expect more from him. I only have the edit so maybe the extended version offers a bit more but so far I’ve been left cold by both the latest U2 effort and the remixes I’ve been hearing. Judge for yourself.
Moby has a new album coming out next month called ‘Wait for Me’. I’ve heard one track from it so far and it sounds really mellow. Seems like he’s following up his last album pretty quickly though. Finishing off the set with some older standards by M.I.A and a great Plump DJ’s track featuring one of my favorite vocalists; Gary Numan.
1. Want U – Lo-Fi-Fnk
2. Forever [Feat. Neneh Cherry] – Kleerup
3. Sub-culture – New Order
4. This Boy’s In Love – The Presets
5. Magnificent (Fred Falke Remix – Edit) – U2
6. I Left My Heart In Tokyo (Fred Falke Dub) – Mini Viva
7. Lift Me Up (Mylo Mix) – Moby
8. I Remember – Deadmau5 & Kaskade
9. Boyz (The Twelves Remix) – M.I.A.
10. Pray For You (Feat. Gary Numan) – Plump DJs
11. Lights Out – Santogold