The latest Dave Gahan solo project is called ‘Hourglass’ and ‘Kingdom’ is the standout track on this release. Listen to ‘Hourglass’ once and you’ll realize that he’s the dark side of Depeche Mode. I heard the Yelle track a couple of times before it dawned on me that it’s basically Heaven 17’s ‘Let Me Go’ with some fresh new French lyrics thrown over it. We’ll it’s not the whole song. They loopt part of it and even threw in the killer break, but it’s basically Heaven 17. Felt like an idiot that I didn’t hear it right away since ‘Let Me Go’ is one of my favorite Heaven 17 songs. Herbert’s remix of Jamie Lidell almost makes it a different song and Mark Ronson’s ‘Stop Me’ is a great Mash-Up of the Smiths and the Supremes. Probably the best song on his latest album ‘Version’. I love almost everything Deadmau5 is releasing lately and was stoked to see that he’ll be playing at Coachella this spring. It’s an expensive show, but you almost have to go all 3 days with the line up they have this year.
1. Kingdom – Dave Gahan
2. See Me Now – Cassius
3. Ce Jeu – Yelle
4. Multiply (Herbert’s Hoedown Bump) – Jamie Lidell
5. Moisture – Headman
6. Stop Me (Album Version) – Mark Ronson
7. Happy Feet (Yuksek Remix) – Klanguage
8. Pictures – Sneaky Sound System
9. Love Sweet Sound – Groove Armada
10. Cut Right Through – Cicada
11. Overpowered (Seamus Haji Remix) – Roisin Murphy
12. Not Exactly – Deadmau5
Sia’s working on a new album tentatively called ‘Some People Have Real Problems’ which will be released in early 2008. Here’s a hilarious promo video of her new song ‘Buttons’ to hold you over until then. If her last album ‘Colour the Small One’ was any indication, she’ll be touring heavily when her new album is released. Don’t miss her when she comes to your town. She’ll stay after the show and hug every person in the audience….serious!
Here is a copy of the live mix at the Gypsy that we broadcast the other week on 94/7fm. I’ve been getting tons of mails asking about this mix, so I thought I would post it so that you can listen to it once again. The next Cocktail Mix will be on Friday July 27th. So far no location has been confirmed so stay tuned for that one.
Here’s the playlist and the mix:
1. Straight Up Front (Parov Stelar Mix) – Djosos Krost
2. All Good (Noiseshaper Dance Dub) – Zeroleen
3. Let’s Make Love And Listen To Death From Above – CSS
4. I get around – Dragonette
5. Let’s Get Physical – Black Ghosts
6. The End – Lo-Fi-Fnk
7. The Things You Say – Cicada
8. I Love It (Riot In Belgium Forest Rave Mix) – Sneaky Sound System
9. 1234 (VanShe Technologic Remix) – Feist
10. It’s Too Late (Dirty South Mix) – Evermore Vs Dirty South
11. The Acid Never Lies (3pm Rough Rave Mix) – Riot In Belgium
12. Cheated Hearts (Peaches Remix) – Yeah Yeah Yeas
13. My Piano (Original) – Hot Chip
14. 23 Minutes In Brussels (With Philiip) – My Robot Friend
15. Everything Counts (Huntemann & Bodzin Dub) – Depeche Mode
Live Cocktail Mix at the Gypsy, Portland Oregon
Summer’s finally here so it’s a perfect time to join us again for another Cuervo Cocktail Mix. This time it’ll be at The Gypsy, 625 NW 21st Ave in Portland. Party starts at 6PM and if you can’t make it to the venue, check it out live on 94/7 fm or online at 947.fm
Here’s another Vee Mix for June. It’s actually hard to figure out which mix to post since I’m doing 2 mixes a week for 94/7fm and I don’t want too much crossover with previous months but at the same time I also want to showcase as much new music as possible. However, the Cocktail mixes for the radio need some familiarity so you’ll probably recognize a few older songs as well.
Hot Chip was just in Portland at the Wonder Ballroom on the 11th and I wanted to add a new track of theirs off the Hot Chip DJ Kicks release to promote the show. Also, Feist is coming to the Chrystal Ballroom on the 25th so I threw in a great remix of “My Moon, My man” by Boys Noize. They did an amazing job with an already cool track.
1. Drugs In My Body – Thieves Like Us
2. See What You Get – Groove Armada
3. I Get Around (Midnight Juggernaut Mix) – Dragonette
4. My Moon My Man (Boys Noize Remix) – Feist
5. La Musique – Riot In Belgium
6. White On White Crime (Shirkan Remix) – The Jai-Alai Savant
7. I Know Kung Fu (Nightmoves Remix) – SHITDISCO
8. Sound Of Copper (Soni Code Remix) – LCD Soundsystem
9. My Piano (Original) – Hot Chip
10. Lonely Hearts – Joakim
11. Gravitys Rainbow (Van She Remix) – Klaxons
The Dub Pistols latest release is called “Speakers and Tweeters” and features 2 tracks with the infamous Terry Hall from the Specials. Some nice original work on the album and they actually do a great cover of the Specials song “Gangsters” with Hall on vocals. The other track with Hall is a cover of Blondie’s “Rapture” done in a killer electro/dub/hip-hop style that makes you forget how many times you’ve already heard Blondie’s version or even all the other covers in the last 25 years or so. Check out the video. Terry must have been a young lass back in the early 80’s cause he still looks pretty good in this video….must be the lighting.
A last minute change of location for next week’s 94/7 Area54 Cuervo Cocktail Mix. It has been moved to Imbibe, 2229 SE Hawthorne PDX. It’s still May 25th from 6-8 PM. Imbibe is a great live music venue with a great menu and even better drinks. See ya’ll there Friday. If you can’t make it and you’re not in the Portland area to listen live to 94/7fm, you can listen live online. Head over to the 94/7 website and click on listen now. You’ll need to register to be able to listen, but you’re automatically a 94/7 Nation member which means you’ll have a chance to win some prizes and concert tickets. Definitely worthwhile!
The next live broadcast of the 94/7fm Cuervo Cocktial mix will be Friday May 25th at a new place called Fusion Lounge. They’re on the corner of 2nd and Couch in old town Portland. The place used to be a hip latin bar called Noche, but it’s under new ownership with a new theme now. The live broadcast portion starts at 6pm, so a perfect time for an after work aperitif and some great music.
The Cocktail Mix is a more upbeat portion of the Area54 program. Check out area54.com for the more chill part of the show.