July is almost over so it’s about time I got the latest mix posted for this month. It has been a hectic month with tons of events and dj gigs. We had the Gorge Games, shows in Portland, a Pimp & Ho party at the River City and two Cebu Zodiac Socials this month. On top of that, there were a bunch of private parties as well. No matter how hectic the summer months are the radio show still airs every night at midnight on 94/7fm in Portland as well as weekends on KCGB K105 in Hood River. I’m posting one of my favorite mixes that I aired earlier this month. There is so much great music being released lately that I wanted to get a lot of it in a mix but at the same time inserting a few older tracks at the same time. CSS has a new album out and I probably didn’t even pick the best track off the album but it’s a great intro track into Ladytron’s Seventeen. I’ve been playing a lot of music from their latest, Velocifero, so it was nice to go back to an older track of theirs for this mix. Booka Shade’s latest release is ‘The Sun & The Neon Light’ and you can probably pick any song from that album and throw it into a mix. If you like Underworld and Swayzak, you’ll love these guys. Ladyhawke is a Kiwi born, Aussie bred and now London residing artist on the Modular label and her single got the magic touch from Aussies, Cut Copy. Pure modern pop with an electro disco sound. The Pinkertones are from Barcelona and they are currently lighting up the Warped Tour in the States. Why are these guys even touring with all those garage punk bands? Supposedly they have more energy on stage than any modern day pseudo punk outfit. Check them out if they come to your town. South Rakkas Crew has been remixed to death, but I really like the way THDP turned it into a slow bass grinder. Turn up the volume on the last couple of songs!
1. Let’s Reggae All Night – Cansei de Ser Sexy
2. Seventeen – Ladytron
3. Dirty Laundry (Skeewiff Remix) – Bitter:Sweet
4. Straight Up Front (Parov Stelar Mix) – Djosos Krost
5. Paris Four Hundred – Mylo
6. Numbers (Radio Mix) – Booka Shade
7. Paris Is Burning (Cut Copy Remix) – Ladyhawke
8. I Love To Move In Here (Seamus Haji Remix) – Moby
9. S.E.X.Y.R.O.B.O.T. – The Pinker Tones
10. Lights And Music – Cut Copy
11. California Roll – Kraak And Smaak
12. Mad Again (THDP Remix) – South Rakkas Crew
Okay, so with last month’s Vee Mix I got a lot of flack for mentioning all the great releases that have been coming out the last couple of months and hardly putting any of them in my mix. So to prove that I can actually listen to constructive criticism, I put a bunch of new tracks in this latest mix.
Fellow ex-patriot, Junkie XL just released one of his more dance oriented records in while. Maybe all the music he’s writing for video games and remixes he’s done for Madonna got him back on the right path again. Good to have him back again……..You’re not Dutch unless you throw four on the floor! Ghostland Observatory are an upcoming rockatronica outfit from Austin, Texas. They were just in Portland the other week and put on a great show at the Crystal Ballroom. Goldfrapp and Moby don’t need an introduction except that they both just released some listenable records. Had to throw some Cut Copy in the set. My band of the moment put on a great show at Doug Fir two weeks ago. I was curious to see and hear how they were going to pull off their polished production sound live and I wasn’t disappointed. Some of the reworks they did of their older material was brilliant. Definitely try to catch these guys live if they come to your town. Here is their touring schedule.
Ladytron’s new album is called ‘Velocifero’ and will be released June 3rd in the USA. 2 songs from the album are widely available on the internet at this time. ‘Ghosts’ is going to be the first single and ‘Black Cat’ is actually available for download from their website.
Finishing off the set are some great remixes of some older tracks. The Gorillaz remix is a stand out. Enjoy!
1. You Make Me Feel So Good – Junkie XL
2. Dancing On My Grave – Ghostland Observatory
3. Happiness – Goldfrapp
4. Nightshade – Alexkid
5. 257.zero – Moby
6. Geisha Boys and Temple Girls – Heaven 17
7. So Haunted – Cut Copy
8. Need U Tonight (Jon Gill’s One Of My Kind Mix) – INXS
9. Black Cat – Ladytron
10. Hey Joe (Jeremy Sylvester’s Socafrica Remix) – Wolfman
11. Feel Good Inc. (Amir Amitai Remix ’08) – Gorillaz
12. Baby Get Higher (Chew Fu Refix) – Van Velzen
Join us tomorrow evening for Cinco de Mayo Chill Style with Area54.
I didn’t get a chance to put up a December Vee Mix before my holiday travels so now that I’m back I’ve decided to post a nice little winter chill mix to help you through the dreary post holiday blues month of January. Nothing special here, just a mix of some nice older songs with some of my current favorites. It’s 80 minutes of Chill Out bliss! Enjoy.
1. Soñe Otro Mundo – Manu Chao
2. The Chauffeur – Urbs
3. Come To Me – Koop
4. Givin Up – Hairy Diamond
5. Get Up Stand Up – Ojos De Brujo
6. Drink Me Hot – Chris Joss
7. Chez Roger Boite Funk – Troublemakers
8. Hypnotic – T Spigot
9. Yes Boss – Hess Is More
10. Lemon Tree (Thievery Corporation Mix) – Herb Alpert
11. For All We Know – Parov Stelar
12. Drum ‘N’ Boogaloo (Fort Knox Five Latin Funk Bomb) – Mo Horizons
13. Alhambra – El Kado
14. The Girl`s In Trouble (Thievery Corporation Mix) – The Januaries
15. Small Axe (Paul & Price Remix) – Bob Marley & the Wailers
16. I Think of You – Ivy
17. I Don’t Know What I Can Save You From (Röyksopp remix) – Kings of Convenience
18. One Evening (Rene Goulet’s Da Luz Mix) – Feist
19. Shadows of Ourselves – Thievery Corporation
20. Don’t Stop – Brazilian Girls
Here’s a mix that I did for 94/7 fm’s Cocktail Mix segment that airs every Tuesday and Friday at 6pm. I only post one mix a month so if you want to hear the rest you’ll have to go online and listen live at 6 Pacific. www.947.fm
Currently the Bass Kleph track has been dropping hard for DJ’s all over the world and the Hook ‘n’ Sling remix is outstanding. What is it with all these producers from Down Under? It seems that anything they touch just turns to gold. Electro Blitz does a nice electro job with Visage’s 1980 hit single ‘Fade to Grey’. These guys might have to be considered one hit wonders if it wasn’t for Midge Ure taking a break between Ultravox and going solo. Since we’re still in the 80’s, how about Bronski Beat’s ‘Tell me Why’ being sampled together with Yaz’s ‘Situation’ in the latest house track, ‘You & Me’. This is pretty much a barn burner for anyone who lived through the 80’s. Maybe someone can sample ‘Smalltown Boy’ since I always felt that song was Jimmy Sommerville’s magnum opus.
1. Coup d’etat (Hook n Sling Remix) – Bass Kleph
2. Fade To Grey 2004 (Electro Blitz Remix) – Visage
3. Crocodile (Radio Edit) – Underworld
4. You & Me – Blue Ray Feat Jimmy Somerville
5. Waiting 4 – Peter Gelderblom
6. Feel The Hard Rock (Heiko & Maiko Mix) – Hardrox
7. Stereo (2007 Digital Dog Club Mix) – Unklejam
8. The Creeps (You’re Giving Me) (Vandalism Mix) – Freaks
9. I Thought That (Boris Dlugosch Remix) – The Migrants
10. Calabria (Club Mix) – Enur
11. Rainbow Country (Radio Edit) – Bob Marley Vs. Funkstar De Luxe
We’ve been playing the track “Yes Boss” by “Hess is More” for a while now on the area54 program and every time the song comes on the phones just light up. I haven’t seen interest in one particular song like this since Boozoo Bajou’s “Keep Going” from a few years back. Hess is More is Danish musician Mikkel Hess who besides writing music for his own band also produces music for films, theater and multimedia including a recent collaboration with the Danish Royal Theater in Copenhagen.
Here is the video for “Yes Boss” featuring the incredibly sexy vocals of Norwegian singer Bang Chau.