Wanna get the September mix in before the month is actually over. Slacker!…Why do today what you can do tomorrow. Guess I can’t wait because tomorrow is October. Here is one of my Cocktail Mixes for 94/7fm. It’s for the Tuesday program and they want more mainstream recognizable stuff in these mixes which actually makes them more interesting and at the same time, harder, since it takes a bit of work to find older, more familiar songs that work well with the new material.
Anyway, might as well start off with a classic song from the 1986 Pretty in Pink movie. I don’t know if it was actually written for the movie, but it was only released as a single and on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack and later on the New Order compilation Substance. Seems like such a long time ago. Sweden is again a hot bed of new music and both The Tough Alliance and Lykke Li are a testament to some great music coming out of Scandinavia. The Twelves are from Brazil and do great work on both the Black Kids and M.I.A. tracks. Then later on we have the Black Kids remixing Lykke Li. Do you also get the feeling that music industry is a bit insestuous? Modeselektor has a great remix of Bjork’s Dull Flame of Desire. One mix is for the boys and the other for the girls. The girls one is a bit mellower so I ended up going with that one.
1. Shellshock – New Order
2. Something Special – The Tough Alliance
3. Back Of The Van (Fred Falke Mix) – Ladyhawke
4. New Gold Dream (81, 82, 83, 84) – Simple Minds
5. I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance
With You (The Twelves Remix) – Black Kids
6. Boyz (The Twelves Remix) – M.I.A.
7. Remind Me (Someone Else’s Radio Mix) – Röyksopp
8. Where I Belong (Wookie Remix) – Sia
9. I’m Good, I’m Gone (Black Kids Remix) – Lykke Li
10. Dull Flame of Desire (Modeselektor’s RMX for Girls) – Björk
11. Never Miss A Beat (Cut Copy Remix) – Kaiser Chiefs
12. Into The Galaxy (Chateau Marmont Remix) – Midnight Juggernauts